Friday, July 3, 2020

Changing Someone's Life Through Crochet

Okay, it may not be that dramatic, but today I was out in my driveway with my camera taking pollinator photos on my bee balm plants.

All of a sudden, someone walks up and says, "excuse me, but are you the woman who taught crochet at the library?"

I was taken aback and confused at first - crochet, library, was she talking about Elisabeth? But no, then I remembered the Beginning Crochet class I taught at the library eons ago.

"Yes, I taught beginning crochet."

First she thanked me. Then she proceeded to tell me how much it changed her. She kept crocheting after the one class and has made lots of afghans. Teenager's afghans, babies' afghans. She was embarrassed to tell me that she only learned one pattern and uses it all the time. I assured her that finding one pattern that makes her feel good is just fine. I guess a friend of hers has been more adventurous and crochets clothes, home décor, etc.

She thanked me again and then quietly walked away.

I have never had any positive feedback when I've tried to teach someone to crochet. I always put it down to the fact that I was taught to crochet by my mother, who was a knitter. I guess the way I hold my yarn and hook are more knitting techniques than crochet, but no matter. It gets the job done.

And someone thinks my teaching was perfectly fine. She is enjoying her newfound hobby and her loved ones are benefiting from her talents.

Well done, I say!

As for the photographs?


No comments:

Post a Comment