Sunday, July 25, 2010

Traveling with Crochet

This summer, my oldest son and I will be traveling to visit my parents for my mom's 86th birthday. So I'm in a bit of a dilemna. The airline we will be using is an extension of U.S. Airways and only allows one carry-on -- either purse or laptop. So, I'm thinking -- I MUST crochet during the flight, so how do I bring my tools and still obey the airline's rules?!

Hmmm . . . I guess that I'll clean out all of the "unnecessary" items from my crochet tote (which is actually a Quilter's Stuff small tote I already use) and store my ID and the items I'll need just for the flight in it. I can pack the rest of my tools / yarn / etc. that I normally keep in the tote, in my checked baggage in a baggie. The Quilter's Stuff bag is actually about the size of a medium sized purse, so I think I can get away with it.

Now, what to bring along, you ask? Luckily, I think I have some great traveling crochet items.
  1. Bamboo hooks - the wood should not cause any security person distress or set off metal detectors
  2. Small plastic coffee container (to hold ball of yarn and keep it from unraveling or tangling)
  3. 1 or 2 balls of yarn or thread (depending on the pattern I choose to make)
  4. Small plastic round tipped scissors (should be sharp enough to cut yarn)
I won't worry about yarn needles (to weave ends through) -- I can put finished items aside for the final step when we're on land. :)

If you'd like to bring along crochet items when you fly, you don't need to spend extra money on bamboo hooks, plastic crochet hooks are affordable and would probably work just fine for short term crocheting. Of course, if you're traveling by car, just bring along your standard equipment.

Either way, crochet is the perfect pastime for travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment